Sunday, July 13, 2008

My First Attempt at "Blogging"

Since the start of the Sea to Sea 2008 began on June 30th, I have tried to read as many of the cyclists blogs to see how the tour was doing. This is of particular interest to me since I also will be taking part in the last segment of the tour which begins for me and 5 other cyclists from London on August 17th. I started training earlier this spring when the temperature in the early mornings was at least above freezing. I at least had good intentions. My place of work is 26.2 km from my home. I started to bike to and from work. The very first time it took me 1 hour and 45 minutes and I was wondering what in the world I had committed to do. How could I have been so foolish as to cycle from Grand Rapids, Michigan to Jersey City. Since there are 11 cyclist from First CRC and Connections Community Church in London on the tour, plans were made to do the occasional group ride. This was the case on Monday May 19th (Victoria Day Holiday) when the call went. I knew that I was in trouble when it was announced that a ride of 100 km was planned. I had just started my training and the most I had biked up to this point for 2008 was 3 trips to work and back with a day of work in between. This was also not a pleasant day to bike; rain was in the forecast, it was COLD and it was very windy. Prior to the ride we took a picture of dipping our tires in "Hermans Lake" in the parking lot at First CRC. The decision was made to bike from the church (downtown) to Lucan. Once in Lucan we all stopped at the local "Tim's" for hot chocolate and the like. A few of us thought this would be the turn around point of our day's run. WRONG! We were going to go to Exeter before we could go home. Not wanting to be a quitter, I again took the position of last cyclist and managed to get to Exeter. We were all excited about going home as the wind was to be on our backs. This did not happen as the wind tended to hit us from the side. Fortunately for me I had Gayle looking after me that day and while I did not want to stop, she finally convinced me to call home and have Jean pick me up in Lucan. While I did not do the 100 Km that day, I did manage to get in 76 km.

John Vandersteen, Gayle Harrison and Ralph Fledderus are now cycling every day. The rest of the London crew try each weekend to bike a 100 km. On Canada Day we biked to Glencoe and back and on July 5th we put in another century mark biking from my place through Thorndale, Wellburn, Uniondale put to the Embro Road and back again from Brooksdale to Belton and back to London. We are able to do these runs in about 4 1/2 hours.
In between group rides I try each night after supper to put in at least 50 km.

No comments: