Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day 1 (50)

Map Distance - 102.8 km
Distance Travelled - 113.72 km
Total Time 5 hr 30 min
Time in Saddle - 4 hr 26 min 33 sec

Pumped!, Was I ready to go, so much so that I did not sleep Sunday night. I think I heard every tent zipper do up and down during the night, so I decided to get up at 6 a.m. and get ready for the day. We had a formal send off today on the parking lot of the Prince Centre. I also met and talked with John Rozeboom. We were all of at 8 a.m.; quite a site seeing all the cyclists heading out. Today I biked with John Vandersteen, John de Vries, Raph Fledderus and Herb Goodhooofd.
It did not take long for the gaps between bikers to form. Lowell CRC was our first stop, and they had quite a feast prepared. Would not have needed breakfast if I knew this was going to be available so early into our day. From Lowell it was straight east with the wind in our backs. We stopped at 3 SAG stops today to refill our bottles, eat our snacks and lunches and to rest if needed. We arrived at the state park at 1:30 and had to wait for the Gear Truck to get positioned. Soon tents were being set up everywhere. Scott, Art and I set up our tents in the same area tonight. After this we went for a quick swim at the beach. Water was refreshing, but a little murky. As I did not sleep well last night, I was ready for bed early tonight.




No comments: